International Services

The Tampa Office of International Services is now located in BEH 255. Please see our contact page for more details and the new walk-in schedule for services.

Current F-1 and J-1 Student FAQs

Can I drop below full-time? 
No.  In order to maintain your immigration status, you are required to be enrolled full-time during the Fall and Spring semesters and Summer if it is your first semester (6 credit hours for graduate students and 9 credit hours for undergraduate students). Please meet with an International Services Advisor if you feel that dropping below full-time is necessary to discuss options and implications for your immigration status.  NOTE: If you drop without permission you risk status termination.

What happens if my visa expires? 
A visa is an “entry document.” It is used to enter the U.S.  If it expires in the U.S. you do not need to be concerned as long as you are maintaining your status, your I-94 is marked D/S, and your I-20 or DS-2019 is valid.  However, if you leave the U.S., you must obtain a new visa at a U.S. Embassy outside of the U.S. before re-entering.

I’m an F-1 student.  Can I work off campus?
Generally, F-1 students are only allowed to work on campus for 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters (40 hours during breaks and annual vacation).  Please see the information on our website about Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training if you are interested in gaining off campus work experience in your field of study. If you have had a severe, unforeseen circumstance that has resulted in a loss of funding as listed on your I-20, you may talk to an International Services Advisor about the possibility of Economic Hardship work authorization.

What do I need to do if I want to travel outside the U.S.?

  1. Be sure that your visa is valid. 
  2. Have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed by an International Services Advisor
  3. If you plan to travel to a country other than your home country, contact the embassy or consulate of the country that you wish to visit.  You will find a list of embassies in Washington D.C. at


How do I find a job on campus?
Some places to look for employment are:

  1. USF departments or colleges. 
  2. The USF Human Resources website for OPS positions. 
  3. Places that commonly hire international students, such as the SunDome; USF Library; or Aramark Dining Services.

NOTE: For a job to be considered to be “on campus” you must receive a USF generated paycheck or the on-campus location must offer essential services to students, such as the SunDome or the USF Barnes & Noble.

What happens if my I-20 or DS-2019 expires and I have not completed my program of study?
You would be considered out of status with immigration.  DO NOT let these documents expire.  Please check your end date at the beginning of each semester.  If you need additional time to complete your program of study, you will need to complete an Extension Request form for F-1 students or USF Extension of Stay Request for J-1 students . If you notice that your I-20 or DS-2019 has expired, see an International Services Advisor immediately.

Are there scholarships available for international students?
There are many different types of scholarships available.  Please see the Financial Aid website to search for scholarships for which you may be eligible to apply.

How do I get in-state tuition?
The Registrar’s office makes all decisions regarding Residency Classification for tuition paying purposes.  Please visit their website for additional information: .

Is there a problem if my I-94 does not say D/S?
YES.  D/S means duration of status and all F-1 and J-1 students must have an I-94 with this annotation.  If you do not, please see an International Services Advisor immediately. International Services recommends that you bring a copy of your I-94 after each trip outside of the U.S.

Can I drop a course from a previous semester?
If dropping a course from a previous semester will put you below full-time for that semester, you should not drop without first speaking with an International Services Advisor.  Retroactively withdrawing can have serious consequences for your immigration status

Do I need to enroll for the Summer?

If you have maintained your F-1 status and intend to continue your current program and register for the next (Fall) term, Summer is considered your annual vacation. In this case, immigration regulations do not require that you enroll during the summer.


  • F-1 students beginning a new program in the Summer term must enroll full-time for that summer session.
  • F-1 students graduating in a Summer term must enroll in their remaining courses and may not take all online credits.


Upcoming Events
Starting Your Adventure with the Global Citizens Project (GCP) and Peace Corps Prep!
Mon. Oct 21
Click Here>>
Möller-Fraticelli Guitar Duo
Mon. Oct 21
Click Here>>
An Ever-Closer Union? Internal and External Challenges to European Integration
Tue. Oct 22
Click Here>>
Peace Corps: Story Slam with Returned Peace Corps Volunteers at the Boba House!
Tue. Oct 22
Click Here>>
USF International Risk & Security Symposium
Wed. Oct 30
Click Here>>