International Services

The Tampa Office of International Services is now located in BEH 255. Please see our contact page for more details and the new walk-in schedule for services.

Other Visas

There are a variety of visa classifications other than F or J that allow school attendance in the U.S. A short list of the most common types of non-F/J visa classifications attending USF is listed below.

The visa classifications that strictly prohibit enrollment in degree seeking programs are B-1/ B-2 (visitor), Visa Waiver Program (VWP), and F-2. These visa classifications allow recreational courses only. It is not recommended that those with visitor’s visas attend non-degree courses if they plan to change status to F-1 to enroll in a degree seeking program.

Dependent Status
Students who hold a "dependent status" are in the U.S. with parents or their spouse and their immigration status depends on this relationship. As a dependent child, your status is only valid until age 21. If you hold a dependent-child status and will turn 21 sometime within the next six months to a year, you may need to change status.    

  • E-2 Treaty Trader or Investor
  • L-2 Intra-Company Transferee
  • H-4 Temporary Worker

Independent Status
Some students may hold their own independent non-immigrant status.  This status is connected to a primary activity such as employment.  To maintain this status, you must continue this activity.  If you plan to cease the activity and only go to school, you must change status to an F-1 student to remain legally in the U.S.  

  • H-1B Temporary Worker
  • L-1 Intra-company Transferee
  • TN Canadian professional under NAFTA

More Information
For more information about various types of non-immigrant status, visit the U.S. Department of State  web site. For information about how these other types of visa classifications affect Florida residency for tuition purposes at USF, contact the Office of the Registrar. 

In order to accept employment at USF, you must have employment authorization per US regulations. For additional information about employment eligibility in the US, please visit the USCIS website

Documents that establish employment eligibility include:

  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD) that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • If authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.


Upcoming Events
Starting Your Adventure with the Global Citizens Project (GCP) and Peace Corps Prep!
Mon. Oct 21
Click Here>>
Möller-Fraticelli Guitar Duo
Mon. Oct 21
Click Here>>
An Ever-Closer Union? Internal and External Challenges to European Integration
Tue. Oct 22
Click Here>>
Peace Corps: Story Slam with Returned Peace Corps Volunteers at the Boba House!
Tue. Oct 22
Click Here>>
USF International Risk & Security Symposium
Wed. Oct 30
Click Here>>