|US Tax Information for International Students and Scholars
Most people who work and live in the US are required to file taxes on a yearly basis. The US tax year is January 1 to December 31 with tax filing on April 15 of the following year. The Internal Revenue Service is the US government agency responsible for the collection of federal income taxes. They publish the US Tax Guide for Aliens, Publication 519 and the US Tax Treaties, Publication 901. If you work in the US, taxes may be withheld from your paycheck. If you receive scholarships or fellowships from USF, part of the amounts you receive may also be taxable.
If you are an F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 visa holder, you are required to complete and file a US tax form even if you don’t work in the US. Filing US taxes can be complicated. In order to assist you, we have purchased a license to Sprintax, an online tax prep solution for international students and scholars, to allow you to prepare your forms for free. The system will guide you through each part of the process with access to live chat support. All international students and scholars who attended any campus in the USF System during the previous year are sent the special access code in their USF email. Students and scholars can use Sprintax on their own or come to an optional tax workshop.
- Create a Sprintax account or log in into your existing account (if you already have one).
- Answer some simple questions.
- Enter your USF access code in the “review your order” section.
- Download and print your tax return(s)
- Sign and send the forms per the instructions provided in the return pack.
What do you need available to use Sprintax?
- Passport or other valid photo ID
- US Entry and Exit Dates for current and all past visits to the US
- All tax forms, including Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 - if you received them
- Visa/Immigration Status information, including DS-2019 (J-1) or I-20 (F-1)
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) - if you do not have an ITIN, Sprintax can help you apply for one.
USF Tax Workshop Schedule
- Monday, February 20th from 1:00-4:00 PM - EDU 417
- Tuesday, March 7th from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - EDU 213
- Thursday, March 16th from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - EDU 213
- Tuesday, March 21st from 2:00PM-5:00 PM - EDU 213
- Friday, March 31st from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - CPR 121
- Tuesday, April 4th from 2:00PM-5:00 PM - EDU 213
- Thursday, April 13th from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - EDU 159
The workshops are conducted by OIS and Payroll to assist students and scholars with using the tax prep solution.
Disclaimer: International Services are not trained to provide tax advice and therefore disclaims all liability from the misinterpretation or misuse of the tax preparation tool. We are offering this tax software as a convenience to our students and scholars. In addition, due to legal restrictions on our capacity to advise you about tax liabilities, the International Services staff is not able to answer individual questions regarding your tax situation.