|Hiring International Students with F-1 and J-1 Visas
Below are guidelines for USF employers to assist with the hiring process of USF international students:
International students, with F-1 and J-1 visas, who are full-time enrolled are allowed to accept on campus employment for 20 hours per week. They can be employed on-campus 40 hours per week during official breaks, such as the winter break and summer.
- J-1 students need written permission from International Services (or the Fulbright Advisor) to work on-campus. This permission must be requested for each on-campus job and each semester. The student will need to do the following:
- Bring employment offer letter to International Services
- Complete the J-1 On Campus Employment Authorization
E-Form in iStart
- Take authorization letter to employer prior to starting employment
- Note: written authorization is not needed if employment is listed on DS-2019
- In order for an international student to apply for a social security number, he/she must first have a job offer letter. With the job offer letter and a letter from International Services, the student can go to the Social Security Office and submit an application. The student will receive a receipt from Social Security. On a normal basis, the social security number will be issued and released to the student, over the phone, within 72 hours. However, in some circumstances there can be a delay of up to 2 months.
- The job offer is "not" a binding contract. The letter is stating that you, the employer, are willing to consider this student for a position contingent upon his/her receipt of a social security number. You are not under any obligation to issue such a letter to an international student. Rather, if you have a genuine interest in employing an international student, then the letter may be issued.
- Each international student hired must go through normal HR Right Start processes.
If you would like further information regarding hiring an international student, please call International Services, at (813) 974-5102.