International Services

The Tampa Office of International Services is now located in BEH 255. Please see our contact page for more details and the new walk-in schedule for services.


The spouse and unmarried children aged of 21 or younger of the J scholar are eligible for J-2 status and a separate DS-2019.  J-2 visa holders do not have to pay the SEVIS fee.  All J-2 dependents are required to maintain health insurance. International Services will issue the J-2 DS-2019 upon receipt of the following information:

  • Copy of the dependent’s biographical page of the passport showing full name, date of birth, and city of birth.
  • Proof of sufficient funding for each dependent -- $5000 per year on top of the current minimum required for the scholar ($24,955 per year). 

Maintaining J-2 Status
J-2 dependents status in the US is dependent on the J scholar’s maintenance of status.  J-2 dependents may study while in the US.

Employment Permission
J-2 visa holders may apply for work permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) .  Permission is granted in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with authorized dates of employment.   Applications take up to four months for approval.  J-2 will need to make an appointment with International Services to file for employment authorization.

J-2 Travel Abroad and Reentry
For information on J-2 travel visit the J Scholar travel section of this website.

Upcoming Events
Peace Corps Ambassadors@USF: Week of Welcome Tabling Event at the BULL MARKET
Wed. Aug 28
Click Here>>
College of Nursing: Global Showcase
Thu. Aug 29
Click Here>>
Volunteer Fair
Wed. Sep 04
Click Here>>
Education Abroad Program Launch
Tue. Sep 10
Click Here>>
Starting Your Adventure with the Global Citizens Project (GCP) and Peace Corps Prep!
Tue. Sep 10
Click Here>>