2013 International Photo Competition
To celebrate diversity and promote cross-cultural understanding, USF World is proud to sponsor the annual International Photo Competition. This contest is designed to offer USF students, professors, staff, and alumni an opportunity to share their international experiences with the University.
2013 Competition Categories
Photographs submitted should capture an observation made or experience had while traveling outside the United States. Awards will be given in the following categories.
- Three awards and two honorable mention awards will be given in the category of International Landscape, Seascape, or Cityscape. Photos must be of a landmark or landscape that is clearly identifiable as an international location.
- Three awards and two honorable mention awards will be given in the category of Portrait. Photos should feature people living in the natural environment or culture of a foreign land.
- One Award will be given for the best Bulls Abroad photograph. Students should wear USF paraphernalia (i.e. t-shirt, cap, USF flag, etc.). Be creative, photos should be original and should highlight the best of the country visited. Dynamic/action photos encouraged. For example, a row of students in USF jerseys/t-shirts eating fish and chips in London with Big Ben in the background. Again be creative and think about photos that would look great as a magazine cover (and your photo just might end up on the cover of a magazine!)
- One award will be given for the Grand Prize photo. Judges are looking for photos that display exceptional artistic merit and provide an overall representation of the experience.
- One award will be given in the category of USF Favorite.
All submissions received will be put on the USF World Facebook Page
(check back on October 1st). Students, faculty, and staff can then vote on their favorite photo!
All submissions received by September 27th will be put online at global.usf.edu/photo_contest.php. Students, faculty, and staff can then vote on their favorite photo!
Voting will be up from October 1, 2013 - October 31, 2013. Entries received after September 30th will also be eligible for this category but may not have the same advantage as those submitted by 9/30 (for example if you submit your photo on October 10th the USF community will only have 21 days to view and vote on your photo vs. 31 days for those submitted by 9/30).
Participants may submit up to 10 photos.
Photo Submission Deadline
Friday, October 18, 2013 by 5:00 PM
• Photos must have been taken within the last 12 months
• Photos may be cropped
• Photos may be submitted in black and white
• Hue/saturation or other adjustments should be minor and kept to a minimum
NO OTHER ALTERATIONS/EFFECTS ARE PERMITTED
The guidelines were set up so that participants don't photoshop or alter the images, essentially we don't want a fabrication. We ask that you don't adjust the images so much that they don't depict the original shot - for example if you took a shot with a gray sky don't adjust the sky color to blue. We get a lot of questions about this every year, please obey the spirit of the rule and don't alter your photos.
What You Need to Submit
Entries will not be accepted without:
- one signed USF World photo application per photo
- a high resolution digital copy (on CD or jump drive) - if you submit more than one photo you may put all the submissions on one CD or drive - please make sure the photos are named as described below
- each photo submitted must be named like the following -
First name Last name_TitleOfPhoto_CityCountry_13.
- a printed copy (any printed copy and size will do - be mindful the judges will use this copy to choose the winners)
2013 Photo Competition Application
Winning Photographs & Prizes
Winners will be announced during International Education Week (November 11-15, 2013) - details to be announced.
Winners receive a USF World prize bag that contains several items including USF sweatshirts for the winners in each category and USF t-shirts to the honorable mentions. Additionally the winners are invited to a reception where they talk about their photos, meet the judges and are given award certificates from USF World. Additionally the winning photos are framed and displayed throughout the campus (in the bookstore, USF World, and the Marshall Center). In years past the winning photos have been featured in USF magazine and on the USF home page.
Meet the 2013 Judges
Noel Smith, Curator of Education / Curator of Latin America & Caribbean Art Director, USF
Noel Smith is Curator of Latin American and Caribbean Art and Curator of Education for the Institute for Research in Art: Contemporary Art Museum and Graphicstudio (IRA) at the University of South Florida in Tampa. She also directs the USF Museum Studies Graduate Certificate program. In addition to teaching, she curates exhibitions for the USF CAM, and collaborates with artist projects at Graphicstudio. Exhibitions she has curated/co-curated for USFCAM include Los Carpinteros: Inventing the World (2005); Carlos Garaicoa: La enmienda que hay en mí/Making Amends (2010); Open Score (2013) and SubRosa: The Language of Resistance (2013). Smith was formerly Acting Director of the USF Institute for Study of Latin America and the Caribbean, and is a literary translator. She holds an MA in Art History (with emphasis on photography), from USF, and has judged the International Affairs International Photography Competition for several years.
Chip Weiner, Photojournalist
Eugene "Chip" Weiner is an educator at the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts. He has been an instructor at the museum for 6 years and in adult education for 15 years. Chip is a freelance photojournalist currently working for Creative Loafing Weekly Newspaper and a regular contributor to The Daily Loaf online blog. His work also includes commercial photography primarily for catalog and advertising clients. Chip was the photography director for Biker Profile Magazine for 5 years, an experience that he describes as life enhancing as he was able to see behind the scenes the many aspects of the biker world. He is also a licensed mental health counselor; a profession that contributes to the understanding of the human condition and certainly influences the content of his personal work. Weiner is a member of the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP), The National Press Photographers Association (NPPA), and the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). www.chipshotz.com
Toivo Voll, 2012 International Photo Competition Winner
Toivo Voll is a former physicist, current network engineer at USF IT, geek, and a graduate student of Political Science at USF. He grew up in Germany and Finland and moved to the United States in 1996. He has had an interest in photography for as long as he can remember, specializing in documentary and travel photography. He has long been fascinated by Japanese culture and had the opportunity to spend over a month of travel and photography in the Kyoto area. Toivo attempts to share the beauty he discovers on his travels via photography with a wider audience.
Previous Photo Winners