USF 6th Annual Chinese Culture Festival and Other Events
April 10, 2015
Thanks to the support from numerous partners at USF and beyond, the USF Confucius Institute (CI) was able to put on several events during spring 2015.
The most recent major event was the 6th annual Chinese Culture Festival on April 6 at the MSC Oval Theater, co-sponsored with the Honors College and other USF organizations. The event included hands-on activities and cultural performances. More than 500 people attended, including high school students and community members.
During the spring, The CI sponsored four lectures:
- “Chinese in the Caribbean, 1854-2015” by Dr. Keith Lowe on February 16 (co-sponsored by the USF Department of History)
- “From Red Bean Buns to Haute Cuisine: Sino-French Food Films” by Dr. Michelle Bloom on February 14 (co-sponsored by the USF Department of World Languages)
- “Chinese Classical Dance” presentation and performance by the Beijing Normal University Department of Dance on April 1 (co-sponsored by the USF School of Dance)
- “English Grammar Teaching in China” by Dr. Mingjian Zhang on April 2 (co-sponsored by the USF Department of World Languages)
The institute also worked with K-12 schools and community organizations to co-sponsor a dozen cultural events related to the Chinese New Year, which reached thousands of people. A report with photos is available here.
In addition, the CI strengthened their outreach by co-sponsoring the following events:
- Non-credit class for senior citizens on “China’s Cultural History,” Wednesdays from January 21 to February 11 (co-sponsored by the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute)
- “Confluence: Dancing Across Cultures” by USF and Beijing Normal University dance students and faculty on April 3 (with about 500 people attending).
CCF dragon dance by USF students
Plate-spinning by acrobat Lily Riggs
CCF activities at the MSC atrium
CI assistants at CCF
Dunhuang Dance by Beijing Normal U
Dance by Beijing Normal U